Wednesday, October 14, 2009

maybe i just had the opening to annie hall on my mind



I read Lauren's post today about George Lopez. On the flip side, he talks about Latinos that do not have the upper hand at fast food restaurants because of the communication barrier. Hispanic frustration seems to be a theme in George Lopez's stand up, and often portrays Latino's as curt or hostile. But hey, it gets laughs. Self deprecating humor, like Woody Allen and his characterized persona of the neurotic New Yorker Jew, can be a way of showing understanding for a cultural group. In some ways, learning about the humorous complaints of people within a certain culture can be a way to bond like minded individuals and enlighten people from different cultures with poignant observations.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that they can be very entertaining. By getting people to laugh about common complaints in a way it can break down barriers. This class kind of makes us look at things critically but I think in most cases people are oversenstive. Although, I can see what they get upset about I think every culture needs to relax a bit... and comedy can be a good way to do that.

    ReplyDelete