Tuesday, October 13, 2009

peace prize controversy.

So, Barak Obama won the Nobel Peace prize, as I'm sure you've seen. We still have troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, so there are many editorials out there that criticize this award as coming too soon.



Me and a friend were talking about why Obama deserved the award and the argument came up, "because he's not Bush". In many ways i think this looks like a slap in the face to the Bush administration, and showing gratitude that America believes in a democratic president.

I thought this bit of information about the voting process was interesting, found here:

Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, which are awarded by Swedish institutions, the peace prize is given out by the five-member committee elected by the Norwegian Parliament. Like the Parliament, the panel has a leftist slant, with three members elected by left-of-center parties and two right-of-center members. Jagland said the decision to honor Obama was unanimous.
I don't think this is as much an issue of race, so much as a way of acknowledging other liberal minded people. maybe that's liberalism? I'm not complaining. I just hope Obama lives up to the hype Norwegian Parliament has created.

1 comment:

  1. I have really made up my mind about whether or not Obama "deserves" the Peace Prize. I am happy for him and think that his donation of the 1.4 million dollar prize money is an extremely generous thing to do, it is also the right thing to do. Obama is, dare I say, NOBLE! OH! I will say I thought it was curious that he recieved the nomination for the prize just 12 days into his presidency.

    ReplyDelete